Monday 13 April 2015

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein

So I was reading around about protein powders and other supplements, as you do, and thought I'd give Casein a try as an addition to my normal whey protein.



First things first, the price. Almost all of the Casein supplements I found were more expensive than a normal whey protein. I always try to stick to one supplement brand and Optimum Nutrition are my favorite because their products all tend to be good.

The consistency is completely different to what I was used to. I found it quite gritty when mixing with both milk and water. This was the main downside I saw to using this supplement.

When reading the guide on the tub, it suggests to take it first thing in a morning and before bed, as it is a slow releasing protein therefore it will slowly release throughout the day and while you're asleep. Whey protein is a fast releasing protein and should therefore be used immediately before and/or after physical activity.

The content in this powder is good 24g slow releasing protein, 3g of carbohydrates and 0.5g of fat. But you can see for yourself below.




Overall, I believe this supplement is good, other than the gritty consistency, but you can't have everything. My training stayed consistent and recovery periods were short so I believe it is also an effective supplement.

When taking first thing in a morning it was effective at holding off my hunger right through until my dinner break at work. This is a plus because a whey shake fills you up, but the full feeling doesn't last half as long as with this shake, making it an ideal meal replacement.

As always, thank you for reading and if you have anything to say about this product, leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts